Education and Care Services National Law (WA) Amendment Bill 2018 (WA)
This alert applies to all organisations who provide education and care services in Western Australia and will likely amend the WA – Education and Care Services module.
Please be advised that on 29 August 2018 the Education and Care National Law (WA) Amendment Bill 2018 (WA) (the Bill) passed the Western Australian Parliament and is currently awaiting Royal Assent. Part 1 of the Bill is due to commence on the day on which the Bill receives Royal Assent. If the assent day is prior to 1 October 2018 the remainder of the Act will come into operation on 1 October 2018, if the assent day is after 1 October 2018 the remainder will come into operation on a day fixed by proclamation.
The Bill amends the Education and Care Services National Law (WA) Act 2012 (WA). The amendments reflect the reforms to the National Quality Framework recommended by the 2014 Review of the National Partnership Agreement on the National Quality Agenda for Early Childhood Education and Care.
The amendments bring Western Australia in line with all other states and territories in which the recommended reforms to the National Quality Framework have already commenced. According to the explanatory memorandum, the amendments introduced by the Bill include:
- streamlining the assessment and rating process for education and care services;
- strengthening the National Law as it applies to family day care services to improve the quality of education and care provided to children;
- the removal of supervisor certificate requirements to reduce the compliance burden for education and care services;
- simplifying the National Law to address unnecessary administrative processes; and
- making minor and technical changes to specific provisions in the National Law to clarify their operation and effect.
The Bill makes minor consequential amendments to the Spent Convictions Act 1988 (WA) and Working with Children (Criminal Record Checking) Act 2004 (WA) to reflect these changes.
Please click here to access the full Bill.
For further information please contact the Law Compliance team:
Phone: 1300 862 667